The default username and password should be changed in order to secure the network. The default username and password can be changed using the Setup Wizard web interface. Here are the steps to change the username and password for Netgear routers:
- Open any internet browser on a device that is connected to the Netgear router.
- Type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and press enter.
- A login page will display asking you for the default information of the router. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password” for most of the routers.
- After successfully logging in to the router, you will be taken to the Setup Wizardweb interface.
- One the left side of the screen, you will see the Wireless option. Click on that.
- Now, you will see the Network Name (SSID) option. Here, you can type in the desired username for your network. Make sure that that you do not share any private information in the name of your network as the username is visible to other devices as well.
- Below the Network Name, you will see the Password (Network Key) option. Here, you can type in the desired password for your network. Make sure that the new password that you wish to set is hard for other people to guess.
- Click Apply to save the changes made.
Your changes will now be saved and you can login to your router with any device using the new username and password for your network.